Monday, January 14, 2013

It's All About The Story

By Kerry Lippincott, Executive Director

mu-se-um: noun: a building, place, or institution devoted to the acquisition, conservation, study, exhibition, and educational interpretation of objects having scientific, historical, or artistic value.

A m
useum can be many things.  For me museums are places to explore and discover, recharge my batteries, spend quality time with family and friends, shop, gather new ideas to try back at my own institution and, of course, work.  Yet, whether as a museum professional or visitor, I’ve struggled with the question - what do museums actually do?   

The definition above as elements of what a museum does – objects, exhibitions and educational interpretation.   Yet this definition and others just don’t seem quite right to me.  Though its  taken me awhile,  I’ve actually come up with an answer that I’m happy with.  Simply put, museums tell stories.  Whether it’s through programming, exhibits and publications, museums tell stories about people (and in some cases animals and natural history), places and events.  

To tell the stories of Geneva, the historical society uses a variety of methods.  For example, there are guided tours of Rose Hill, exhibits at Prouty Chew and the Cemetery Stories program for fifth graders.  This blog is just another way for us to share Geneva’s stories and how we go about telling those stories.  I hope you will enjoy the posts! 





No comments:

Post a Comment